The Ultimate Wedding Decor Checklist, Leaving No Stone Unturned
If you are a newbie bride-to-be you have undoubtedly started pinning ideas for how you want your wedding to look. Initially, it can feel incredibly overwhelming, particularly if you have opted for a blank canvas venue and need to source a lot of the decor items yourself, in which case this ultimate wedding decor checklist could come in rather handy!
You have probably already come across a handful of ‘wedding checklists’ online and in your favourite bridal mags, but the vast majority only touch on the major planning components and items that quite frankly the wedding wouldn’t work without. You are not going to forget to order the table and chairs for your wedding reception or somehow neglect to mention your bouquet desires to your florist (or so we would hope!) It is almost always those finer little details that get forgotten.
It’s all these small touches and carefully selected decor items that can have such a drastic impact on the overall aesthetic of your day, not to mention really help to make it so personal and memorable to your guests. At the end of the day, who wants a cookie cutter wedding when you can have something that really stands out.
A big part of my role as a wedding planner and stylist is that I cover all of these details with my couples and try to include a handpicked selection of personal touches (without going over the top of course). I find that with most of my couples, some of these decor elements have not even crossed their minds so that is why it can be so helpful to have someone with the experience and knowledge to take your special day to the next level.
You by no means need to include all or even any of the items below, but I want to make sure that you have as comprehensive a list as possible so that you can see the options and then decide what is right for you. Read on for the Ultimate Wedding Decor Checklist.
- Welcome sign
- Other signage (e.g. seating, ceremony instructions, order of events)
- Order of service display
- Reserved seating signs
- Ceremony Arch (floral or fabric)
- Ceremony Backdrop
- Aisle runner
- Pew ends / aisle decorations
- Urn floral arrangements
- Windowsill floral arrangements
- Candles / lanterns
- Vow Books
- Confetti in baskets / cones / urns
- Signage (welcome, loos, parking, dancing, bar, other directions)
- Personal signage (quotes, memories, photographs)
- Table plan / seating chart
- Decorative candles / lanterns scattered around the venue
- Lounge seating, side tables, poser tables
- Overhead or hanging décor (floral arrangements, Edison light bulbs, fairy lights, lanterns, balloons, bunting)
- Guestbook station (incl pens, camera, crafting materials, signage)
- Photobooth station (incl backdrop and props)
- Cards and Gift table and sign (e.g.postbox or other kinds of container for cards)
- Bathroom basket with convenience items (e.g. hairspray, plastic heel covers)
- Decoration for bathroom (e.g. photographs, quotes, flowers)
- Garden games
- Cake table (incl stand, flowers and candles for decoration, cake knife)
- Dessert table (display and backdrop)
- Bar or drinks Station (plus signature cocktail menu)
- Practical needs: Umbrellas, blankets and vases to sit the bouquets in
- Floral centerpieces or garlands
- Non-floral table accessory or decoration
- Fabric table runner
- Candles (dinner, lanterns, tealights)
- Table numbers / names
- Table number holders / frames
- Name places
- Menus (per person or per table)
- Glasses (wine, water, bubbles)
- Plates (charger, side, starter, main, dessert)
- Napkins (and napkin decoration)
- Wedding favours (perhaps personalised)
- Table games / ice breakers / disposable or polaroid cameras
- Kids activity packs
To have these items all on one page, save and download the image below and keep it close by as you work through your wedding plans!
If you are worried about missing things off the list or you would like someone to work with you to discover, create or source some entirely bespoke and personalised decor items for your day then please get in touch for a chat. I would love to talk through your plans and help to create the wedding of your dreams!
Image 6: photography by Hearts on Fire | Image 7: photography by Lane Dittoe | Image 8: photography by Maggie Marguerite Studio | Image 9: photography by Lara Hotz Photography | Image 10: by Fox and Sparrow Design